We believe the Elephant and Castle Urban Forest has a great future. There are risks that the regeneration of the area could damage the forest and reduce access we are confident that these need not be the case.
ElephantandCastleUrbanForest.com is a campaign that seeks to:
- Raise awareness of this precious place
- Encourage people from near and far to enjoy it now and in the future
- Maintain access during and after redevelopment
- Shape the proposed construction project so the forest is at the heart of the design
- Project and value the trees supporting the local campaign Forest Bank
- Make the Elephant and Castle district of London famous for its vibrant green spaces
- Find like minded partners for our cause
Interim Use Strategy
A key strategy to furthering our aims was to create and help promote many informal events within the urban forest. You can see a blog of many of these here. Gradually more formal opportunities have emerged in this space for ‘interim uses’, such as the Mobile Gardeners Park at Wansey Street which has moved twice since 2012 to its new site on the New Kent Road side of the Heygate at Grow Elephant. We are campaigning for more of these opportunities and Elephant and Castle Urban Forest has participated in the creation of a document proposing a wide range of interim uses published by The Elephant Amenity Network. Download the interim use document here.